1 3-4 lb. chicken
3 lemons, 1 quartered, 2 sliced into ¼ inch rings
1 navel orange, quartered
3-4 cloves of garlic, whole
12 black peppercorns
4 inch sprig of fresh rosemary
2-3 fresh bay leaves
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 teaspoon sea salt
8 ounces Portobello mushrooms, sliced into quarter inch strips
1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3-4 the size of a fist), peeled and sliced into ½ inch rings
1. Wash and dry chicken. Allow to rest uncovered in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
3. Season the inside cavity with half of the salt. Stuff the chicken with the quartered lemon, the navel orange, garlic, peppercorns, rosemary, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves. Tie the legs together with a two-foot piece of kitchen string, then wrap string around the cavity, and tie closed. Fold the wings underneath the bird. Coat the skin with a tablespoon of olive oil so the skin browns evenly. Season with remaining salt.
4. Arrange the mushrooms in the center of a baking dish, with the potatoes and remaining lemons along the outer edges of the pan. Lay the chicken on top of the mushrooms. Bake for 30 minutes, then turn oven down to 375ºF and roast for another 45 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
5. Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Back to Top